After going rogue last week, I’ve returned to Baker Street’s Muffin Monday capers! This was the first time I’ve made marble muffins, marble anything really. I found the prep time to be a bit more time consuming but still fun. My favorite part was making the streusel. The streusel making was messy but it was fun to just be a kid & get my hands on the mushy butter & just kneading everything to a crumble.
These muffins turned out huge! I’m only photographing the two normal ones. The rest turned out to be muffins on roids! It’s not a bad thing though. I never complain about extra sweetness. The tart cream cheese and aromatic cocoa powder combined with a moist muffin were just delicious. As gooey and sweet as the muffins were, I used whole wheat flour, which makes it ok, right? :)
- Streusel 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Streusel 1/4 cup flour
- Streusel 1/4 tsp ground sinnamon
- Streusel 2 tbsp butter
- Streusel 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Streusel:
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon and flour. Add the butter and work it with your finger tips till the mixture is crumbly and stir in the chocolate.
- For the Muffins:
- - Preheat the oven to 350F
- - Line a 12 pan muffin tin
- - Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- - Remove half a cup of the flour mixture and set aside
- - Add cocoa powder in the remaining mixture.
- - Beat cream cheese, 1 egg and the reserved 1/2 cup of flour
- - In a separate bowl combine the egg, water, vanilla essence and oil
- - Add it to the cocoa mixture. Gently mix it till incorporated
- - Spoon the batters side by side equally in the muffin cups
- - Sprinkle the streusel and bake for 20 - 25 mins
Looking for more Muffin Monday recipes?